Pages

Thursday 20 June 2013

GLASTO... HERE I COME !!! ?

Glasto here I come...!!! It's taken a lot of planning.


For some people, facing a death, they wish to do extravagant things like going on the QE2. For me, my QE2, is to go to Glasto, one last time.

For the last 12 or so yrs I have gone... and loved every visit.
My first time was with Anne. She had gone the previous year with her husband Richard. He hated every moment and thus I was asked to go with her.
My very first time ... we went after school on the Friday and missed Coldplay we also had to leave on the Sunday afternoon.. I thunk we missed Rod Stewart... but I thought it was brilliant... and well worth the money.

We were both working, Anne was one of my staff... eventually I was retired and Anne got permission to have a day off from Govs. So Anne would arrive on the Fri afternoon, I had already set up camp, ... and she had to leave on the Sunday.

One yr I went alone... this was OK but not as much fun as with my friend.

Thereafter we went together, and as I had medication which required refrigeration, I was allowed to stay on the disabled site.

The disabled site is amazing. There  are two marquees. One for tea and coffee , chat, charging of wheelchairs and activities,   and another for complimentary medicine, such as massage.
There is also a proper shower.
It has always annoyed me that people who support those with the real disability have used this shower... I never have.

The site also has many volunteers who are so , so helpful.

So my plans.... amazingly, I had a dream, about a year ago ,that Michael Eavis knew of my condition and flew me by helicopter to the Pyramid stage to meet the Stones. This was long before anyone knew that the Stones were playing.

When I heard they were to appear I was overjoyed. Anne and I had decided that to get tickets in October was dodgy as I didn't know how my health would be.
Every year I have been the one to get the tickets... using Internet and endless phone calls.... It has always worked... but this year I decided we should use her link with the Eavis family... I'm not going to say how... but it worked and we have tickets.

THE PLANNING. Well this was mega.. First I had to organise transport.I searched the web and found I could get a large vehicle which had lock down for the wheel chair for £624 .It was booked.I needed space to carry a hoist, a commode and me in a wheel chair. I noted that I also need a bed. I have rented one for £225. It will be delivered and collected from the site. I also have to remember night bags and the holder, a spare day bag and all meds....
Keeping dry has been an issue, so I have bought a coverall , it covers my whole body including my feet. I will need to take clothes for warm and cold weather... the list is endless... but, also includes a box of red wine !!

My daughter ,Christina, contacted , Make a Wish, to see if I could meet Mick Jagger... apparently they only deal with children.. she then contacted Michael Eavis, but apparently the Pyramid stage is closed to all headliners... even those with MND.

So Ive spent a fortune. BUT it is a so very special event for me ! Wish me luck! I'm apprehensive now but also very very excited.. I'm following my dream.. paying for it , but hey, It's still a less expensive than the QE2 !!!

The Glasto team for disabled people have been amazing.. we have been given a pass for the transport to access the site and also there will be electricity in our tent.

This is my last big trip... I'm going to really enjoy it..

Please hope there will be no rain.!


HUG ME , I'VE GOT MND

3 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read your blog again!

    Have a wonderful time at Glastonbury. Do wave at the TV cameras and we'll look out for you.

    Love from
    Sue and Pip
    x

    ReplyDelete