Pages

Thursday 18 April 2013

O0O0O0H, WHAT A NIGHT ! WHAT A WED.NES.DAY NIGHT !

My carer last night was called Jay. Jay had been with me approximately two months ago.
Since then so much has changed in terms of my needs.

I had thought I would shower but decided to wait until Thurs as Jay did seem very anxious at the thought of using the hoist. I decided a simple regime would be best.

When it was bedtime the fun began !

I had said all my clothes are OK to wear again ,except, my underwear. Underwear goes in the laundry basket which is in the utility room.
So why did she ask about every piece of clothing ? Why couldn't she find the utility room?  After all there is only one room with a washing machine and dishwasher in !!!!

I feared her helping me into bed.
I was right so to do!

I explained that I could move myself a little, but not, if there was anything in my way, like a pillow or blanket. So why did I have to ask three or four times for these items to be put on the floor ??

Anyway ,without going into too much detail, I was in bed with light off at 1:00am. I arranged that she would wake me at 4:15 to turn me.

This is where the fun begins.
I did get turned, indicating, leg by leg and move by move, how I should be turned.. I tried to snuggle down, but knew I was too low in the bed. I also had burning feet. Efforts to move me up the bed  were attempted. (The full version of this lasts about 20mins !!! ).

Jay got a cloth to cool my feet.
I tried to sleep, but found I was too scrunched .
I called to Jay.I now needed to use the bathroom and this would be good because on my return I could be placed "up" the bed, in the correct position.
Now, to get out of bed, the back rest has to go up, ie like if you wished to sit. But my bottom was so far down the bed. It was the middle of my back that was resting in the place where my bottom should be. Jay moved my legs towards the ground . In order to try to help myself to a sitting position ,I held onto the foot of the bed.
And that's when it happened.
As I pulled towards the bed rail, the mattress gave way , dropping me down six to eight inches. I was wedged between the mattress and the end of the bed.

I felt as if I was about to fall through so I pressed against the end of the bed. Now what should happen, dial 999 ? or in fact what did happen... Jay came into her own and pushed me up from the dip as I pushed too.

I sat on the edge of the bed, gasping for breath as a result of the shock.
A toilet stop,and  a few cups of tea laterand  I  relaxed (!!) , in my chair. I was there as the day carers came .
I wrote a report of the event and emailed it to my OT and Physio.

A few hours later three men appeared. They fiddled with the bit of plastic that had popped out. It was a holder for the mattress that actually wasn't needed. But as to the dipping mattress it turns out that the button that lowered the base had been pressed. As feet are light the mattress stayed level , even though it wasn't supported. The result was, that when I went on to the foot area, I fell through onto the base.

I did feel embarrassed that I had caused such a panic, however the whole episode gave me a huge shock
.I was, and still am, very shaky.

And all of this on only three hours sleep.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND





No comments:

Post a Comment