Pages

Sunday 10 February 2013

SNOW MEMORIES

When I was very young, living in The Royal Forest of Dean, I remember my first snow event. It was deep, very deep. Presumably, my Nana, who looked after me whilst my parents went to school, couldn't make it to our house.
Dad decided to take me to his school on the toboggan. We lived in Cinderford and his school was down a hill 3 miles ,in Littledean . We went over the fields and apart from it being fun at first, I well remember crying because I had very cold hands. I was put in front of the coal boiler in the classroom to warm. In the afternoon it was painting, and I managed to spill a whole tin of red powder paint over myself and the floor.... I think got told off...  I was only 3 !

No more snow memories until I was 11... Mind you we had been living in the Bahamas until then so hardly any possibility of snow !!! My memory is, again,  of fun on a toboggan, the same one. We lived in Station Street, it is a hill. I went up and down, up and down , till well after dark. When I got in I was wet and cold and mum put me in a bath. Oh the stinging as I warmed up!

When at College in Leicester, I had to ring up, as I had been to Cinderfrd for the weekend... but it had snowed and as Cinderford is high up the snow stayed , so I contacted college to say I was snowed in. I'm sure they thought I was fibbing ! But I wasn't !!

When Chrissie was 2 1/2, we visited a friend and it was snowy. The children all went in the garden to enjoy. All except Chrissie ,who didnt like it , ( she was the youngest by far)... My friend, who was in a bad mood said, It isn't as if she's never seen snow !!! Yes I said, once before, but she was only 18mths ! I was cross at this and remember it very clearly.

Next memory, and the on-going battle to get Eliza to wear wellies when snow was on the ground. We both shouted and eventually she left the house in wellies. I then found out she had gone to Rebeccas round the corner, and changed into her shoes !! Think that was Liza 1 Mum 0 !!!

Horrid memories of snow when I was a headteacher . Oh the stress of deciding if I should close school or not. In the end I usually went with the consensus, as once at Walsden, I kept the school open. Little did I know my school was the only one open in Calderdale... and thus no school dinner would be on its way. I got Grandma Pollards to send up 65 portions of sausage and chips. This cost 50p more than the dinner would have been, so in my Friday newsletter I asked for this back from parents. Most sent it... but some argued,  why should they ! I despair ! Actually the unusualness of the lunchtime gave those little ones a memory that I hope they will treasure... well at the very least, a happy memory for me.

So now I'm retired ,What is my attitude to snow .... well it has changed.
It means I have peace.... wonderful peace.... I get to spend my day as I wish and this is painting as a first choice......... (Fewer medical people attempt to visit, but friends stay in contact via phone).

So, Snow ...WONDEFUL... Thankyou for giving me a break, for providing an oasis of tranquillity.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND.

No comments:

Post a Comment