Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2013

SPLASH !

I had a really bad night last night.. for two reasons. Firstly, I was to have my first meeting with Sharon , who would be washing me , and secondly I knew I had to be up at 7:15 in order to take off the ECG monitor which was to be collected at 7:30.
Consequently, I slept little and instead of painting as planned , I ended up in bed this afternoon for about 4 hrs. However,this sleep was interrupted by Boots delivering meds....
My prescription arrived with lots of code zero on them... apparently I have to see Dr to get any more repeats ! WHY?? Surely the Riluzole and Metformin are standard as I am unlikely to not need these !!!
I fear another battle !! RATS!!!
I'm so pissed off with these little interruptions. Just when you think something is working, it B****** well breaks down !!!
Why?? It stresses me so much.
MND is hard enough to deal with ,............. well you would think.
Sooo maybe, I've got it wrong, maybe this will just be a simple phone call... but it's yet another "one more",  simple phone call !
Rant Over !!!!

So onto Splash!
I know that showering is something I enjoy, something I need, something I want, and something I have always done for myself since childhood. 
Recently I have found that showering, drying and dressing has been too exhausting... it uses up half a day of energy... AND.. I have had difficulty in the transferring from power chair to shower-chair.
Sooo. THE SOLUTION... get someone to shower me, and dry and dress....
But mentally. what an adjustment. It is almost the ultimate in the invasion of my personal  space, for me. I only see, at the moment, someone feeding me and or wiping my bottom as a worse invasion........ and erosion of dignity........... Is there more ???

What do other MND people think ?? Have you had to go through these issues too ?

Well, Sharon arrived. I was expecting a little old lady, sort of a Miss Marple...
What I got was a tall , friendly,tidy, woman wearing PINK Dr Martins !!!!! YEY !!! Within a few moments I knew we would get along... perhaps the Docs were the clue,(and the colour of them !!!).
Sharon was simply brill. She somehow managed to allow me to retain my dignity, giving me choices in everything... She washed my hair and dried it too. She could see my skin was dry and put on moisturiser... she treated it all as a Spa Day !!

How lovely. I feel confident and very happy that she will take over this aspect of my care.
At the moment she has only two spots, but I hope ,will soon, find two more.

So, after the anxiety all is well. I feel proud of myself, that I have faced yet another hurdle... and got over with success.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

1 comment:

  1. Well done Nikki, has at least to be better than than the communal showers we (did you) all had to bear at school. Never bothered me (shameless!) but I know it did lots of girls. Sharon sounds like a great person.

    I never realised that you were such a pink and purple person. My grandaughter loves those two colours even though her mum tried hard not to make her "girly" and "pink" when she was little.

    ReplyDelete