Pages

Sunday 12 August 2012

25 DAILY ADUSTMENTS

I thought it maybe interesting for you to have a list of the adjustments I make to manage  a "normal" life:

  • I usually wear slipper boots with thermal socks. My feet are always cold.
  • When I do wear shoes, they have to be light enough for me to lift, yet attached with Velcro fastenings or similar to stay on. Clarks wave sports shoes seem to be the best option.
  • I wear a Velcro support to keep my foot in place , otherwise , as it droops so much I fall over it.
  • I have to have strategies in place to allow me to get off the floor. This includes a low stool,cushion and chair downstairs and a blow-up apparatus in the bedroom.
  • I let guests make the coffee of tea.. Lifting a full kettle is hard and I have nearly scalded myself many times.
  • My hands aren't strong. I drop things , especially difficult when I put coffee into a mug.
  • I have difficulty getting the wheelchair in the right position to open the door of the dishwasher to unload it.
  • I have no wheelchair upstairs, so have to support my body on a basin or work surface, to have 2 hands free to empty washing machine, or similar.
  • I haven't worn contact leanses for months, my hands cant stay in the air long enough to mnanage.
  • I cant use a large towel,too heavy.
  • I cant put washing on a line or manage wet washing onto a clothes airer , too heavy, so I spend a fortune on using a dryer.
  • I cook but then am too tired to eat on occasion.
  • I'm frequently hungry , so have lots of small meals.
  • My stomach is bloated as I sit so much.
  • The stair lift takes 32 seconds per journey, and that doesnt include getting off.
  • I have to shop for clothes on-line, a changing room difficult and too exhausting.So I try on at home. And like today the garment didn't fit. So now I, somehow, have to return it
  • After a shower I'm so tired I have to rest for 20mins in a chair.
  • Sometimes at bedtime,(like last night), I fall asleep still fully clothed, too exhaused to undress.
  • Opening tins , using a corkscrew have too be done sitting. The action of standing and turning anything sends me sideways onto the floor. As I'm in the wheel chair I  frequently spill bits of the content on me.
  • I have difficulty giving Meggie fresh water, have to top her bowl up from a cup.. The action of placing a bowl on the floor, means I always spill it.
  • I cant pick up the post, I use a litter picker.
  • I couldn't hoover would fall flat on my face behind it, or use dustpan and brush, too low down. 
  • Cant reach the top shelf of the fridge, or kitchen cupboards . High enough that  I would  need to  stretch which causes imbalance
  • Heating costs a fortune as I am frequently very cold, yes even in August, that I have to put it on.
25 things that happened today, there will be many more, but these are the obvious ones.
This isn't a moan. I just thought it would be of interest to you to know how much MND affects normal everyday things that I took for granted. 

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND.


No comments:

Post a Comment