Pages

Tuesday 14 May 2013

FEED-BACK

At last I have found the time to complete the feed back re my visit to the Hospital in Huddersfield.
 On a postcard, I could simply have ticked a box but then was given only a centimetre space in which to write any comments.
 I tried , several times, to complete the form on line. Eventually I contacted the survey agency and they sent me a correct link.

Until I had sent this survey in I felt it inappropriate to write about it. However as it is now winging its way through the ether I will share . I was asked forstly if a friend or relative were to go in to the hospital, would I rcommend it.



If the friend or relative was in good health I would probably be ambivalent re recommendation.
BUT as I have MND, and for anyone else who is unable to weight bare there are issues.
I need turning and nurses were surprised at this.
I asked for socks to be removed 6 times as I have a neuropathy, I was told, “just a minute". They never did remove socks.
When getting me into bed I needed a pillow, as when I lay flat, I have shortness of breath. Just a minute was a response!
I felt my specific needs were not understood or when they were explained were ignored, making me feel very frightened and fearful for my safety.
Whilst there was considerable fuss re covering my private parts there was rank inconsideration when I needed the commode. The hoist was used, after it was serviced! Then, when it was brought down it had dust on it. I was placed in the harness and placed on the commode without the harness being removed. I looked like a puppet. And how do I know this? Well, because I was placed in front of a mirror. I had no choice but to look at myself! This was an undignified thing to do to anyone and made me, once again, feel disregarded as a person.
A man came in and fastidiously cleaned the window ledge with a damp wipe. Others came in and wiped other bits. However no-one seemed to get into the corners of the room. The corner appeared to be dusty and cobwebby, though these may have been scratches in the paint-work.
The kindest people were the Consultant, his registrar, and the anaesthetist and the water jug lady who filled two glasses for me. (I had been asking for two glasses as I needed to drink and can't lift a jug, much less pour from it!)
I had ordered my medication into two bags. Those for night and those for morning. I also had one medication (an MAOI, about which no-one knew, and didn’t appear to find out).This requires refrigeration. EVENTUALLY it was put in a fridge. Much fuss was made re meds and having to list them. One bag was taken. I pointed out there were two. I was told all would be well. Sometime later someone returned and in a curt voice said there should be more meds than this! (Speechless!) The list was made and a copy given to me. It didn’t include the MAOI. So, I guess, my GP will think I don’t take them anymore!!(It's Ok, I'll tell her and show her this feedback, should the need arise.
So, all in all, I am not happy with my care at Huddersfield. I am however delighted that I suffered the lack of care to get the end result of the procedure.
I know that I will have to return to have my catheter changed in 3months. I am not looking forward to this.


So enough serious stuff... another Doctor !



HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment