Pages

Thursday 23 May 2013

GOODBYE LITTLEGREEN CAR... I LOVED YOU... NOT !

Today I became a non car driver.
After being a driver for 47 yrs, its a big loss.
I have given up my Motability car. However Calderdale Volunteer Transport seem to be able to take me to anywhere I wish . They are kind and careful. With them,  I can sit in my chair and go wherever I book.
So far I have gone to Rugby ( for Oliver's christening, and to The Works at Sowerby Bridge for lunch and drinks with Samaritans. I have booked a trip to Tod for the AGM of the gallery next week and also a trip to Halifax.)
Each trip costs , on average , £30,. BUT I will now get my DLA of £55 per week to pay for these. Formerly it went towards the car , so I never did see it.
But, indeed , it is sad, after driving for 47 yrs , to not have access to a car. In fact , though I always had access to a car, I was 34 before I had my very own first car. I chose a Bluebell Blue, Citroen 2CV. Its number plate was C22 UVN.   I wonder where it is now?
I had such fun with that car, which ended with my divorce. Its value went into the divorce settlement. I got the Citroen BX ( Anthracite Grey) and my husband the 2CV and the caravan ( an Avondale Leda).
My 2CV was sold to a nurse from a SCBU, ( Special Care Baby Unit).
 I know not where since. But 2CV's are renown for wearing their dents with pride... and with its simple engine, I expect somewhere it goes now.
The BX that I got was kept for 3 yrs, until the hand brake failed and it ran down the road into a wall. It was a write off !  I now engage gear when parking in hilly Calderdale ! (Well I used to , when I was a driver!!!!)
I passed my test at 18 despite having my first lesson on the 18th of Feb 1966, the day after my 17th birthday.
I took three tests. The first I failed on the Highway code. The question "Why are double white lines?" floored me. 2nd test I failed. Don't know why but the instructor said I was Brutonized... the chief tester being a Mr Bruton !! Third time I passed.
I went on a car Rally that afternoon. Mum and dad didn't know !!!! I used 5/- and put 2 gallons of petrol in the car. ( 5/- is 25p now!)
So it with mixed feelings that I am car less. But the car was a trouble always .( 8 visits from the RAC !!!)
The other reason is that the morphine is making me slower to respond. I don't think I would be safe for myself or other drivers.
 It is good to end my driving career with a no accident record...... well I mean proper accidents. I did have a few claims for backing into a large  stone , backing into a fence, backing into a bollard !!!

So my Little Green Car did me proud today..... it wouldn't start !!! How normal !!! And so it achieved a total of 9 RAC visits.... they had to come today. Paul from the RAC making his 3rd visit and on the cars last day !!! YEY !!!!!!


















HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment