Pages

Saturday 4 May 2013

SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE......... THE TOUCH !

It has been interesting for me to note how carers work.  Well, not only interesting as an intellectual exercise, but indeed,  necessary for my comfort and, yes, safety.
I have met many carers some with degrees, some without, some without every having completed GCSE's...... and it doesn't seem to matter!!Because they can still be simply divided into two categories... those with the touch and those who lack it !

 All of them have been kindly and wishing to care,BUT  when it comes to my comfort  and general understanding, some just don't cut the mustard.

Thus, it amazes me, that some just have that touch. Why not all?? I have no idea. They do their best but perhaps its a lack of empathy ??

 Is there an empathy gene? Or is it down to nurture???

One example. Today my youngest daughter Chrissie has had , for the first time, to use the standing hoist and help me to the toilet.

Now, for anyone it must be difficult to realise that your mum can't get to the loo unaided. AND then to have to pull down clothing... not easy.

Chrissie was magnificent . With only one quick set instructions she got the handling aspects of the hoist and successfully , kindly   AND , for me most importantly, was able to help me with dignity and an assured calm. eg, without telling, she saw the need to smooth my clothing, to lift my legs ... without prompt. She has the  Touch !

Next weekend Liza will be here. I feel she too will be as capable and caring . She hasn't hoisted before, but she has dealt with me with pneumonia and was splendid .

Thankyou girls. I love you both so very much. I am gratified , proud and delighted that I have such lovely daughters.......

AND   That you have THE TOUCH !!

HUG ME , I'VE GOT MND 


1 comment:

  1. I believe empathy comes from nature and nuture. What a gift you gave your daughters!

    ReplyDelete