Pages

Monday 18 March 2013

CAN BEGGARS BE CHOOSERS ?

It's hard, keeping track of my life from the wheelchair. BUT it is necessary as I want to live my life, and NOT my life as others think I should. OK I'm open to suggestion, but I wish to assert  my right to accept or decline these suggestions!
The decisions I make about how I live about my life are what makes me me and not a shadow of me.

But this message is hard, so hard, to get over to people, and it's even worse when you have so many people all coming into you house each day.
For example today ( Monday )I have had, Marianne, Sharon, Laura, Chris, Christine, a Nurse, Barry , Michelle and I have the night time carer to arrive at 10:00!

AND:
Each person is so kind.
Each person means to help, wants to help.
BUT,
Each person has their own agenda.

Sharon, for example, got a red towel out of the cupboard today. Not her fault. After all it was a clean towel.  But, red towels are kitchen towels... I was able to explain this and it's not a big issue....... but multiply this by a few things each day for each of a few people........... and I end up frazzled,  having to check everything OR write notes everywhere...
AND experience suggests that people don't always heed notes .........

SO ?
Am I a control freak ?     I hope not!!    Should I chill more??
 It would be  a diminution of me, the dwindling of Nikki.
A reduction in the me-ness of me!
Maybe small things at first (like Red towels !)  but  small things overlooked as inconsequential,,,,,,,,,,,,then grow.... and become matters of great consequence...... and my fear would be that by the time that happened I would be unable to control events.
So I have to control NOW.

To Explain:
It would be like wearing any old perfume rather than the fragrance I choose to wear.
It would be like having brown sauce, because, after all, its a sauce, when actually I want tomato sauce.
It would be like sitting in the Stalls because, after all ,I'm  at the Theatre, when actually I like to sit in the Circle.          
I could go on.....

Should I just be grateful ?

Can beggars be choosers?

I do hope so, because I will defend my individuality, I wish to retain any of the bits that you may feel are eccentric, but which I treasure.

Please people don't be offended if I ask you to change a red towel for another colour. These are the quirks that make me Nikki Woodman. And If I don't have them, if I cant retain them, then I may as well give up now, I might as well not exist.

Its hard keeping on top of all this , please respect me for who I am.

Thankyou....... and

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

1 comment: