Pages

Wednesday 6 March 2013

TWICE IN A LIFETIME , ENOUGH THANKYOU !

The first time I got pneumonia I was 5. I lived in a v small village called Cherokee Sound, part of Greater Abaco, Bahamas Islands.

On our island there was no Dr. There was a woman , Miss Netty, who delivered babies.. But she had no training in medicine.

So,............. I had pneumonia, and the treatment prescribed was to inhale turps in steamy water.

59 yrs later, well last Wednesday to be exact, I spent a great evening with a friend... Eating, drinking, chatting. One of the the things I ate plenty of, was pickles. At bedtime I noticed my epiglottis was swollen and I started to gag...
Thurs felt tired after little sleep but did go to have nails done...YEY!!!
By 5:00 I felt v v tired and unwell, and went to bed... As soon as I lay down I started to gasp for air..... Thankfully a friend , wanting to borrow a glue gun , popped in at 7 and found me in this unwell state.

Duty Dr called.... Much answering of questions... Eventually a Dr arrived  and said I had a virus but no chest infection, but gave antibiotics as a precaution.
My friend  left. I lay down. Could not get any air, managed to contact my friend who returned... Maybe I was having a panic attack??

Next day Liza arrived. She was amazing.. Putting me to bed, dressing... All sorts of things which she, as my daughter, probably never expected to do.

BUT by sat evening I was reacting to the antibiotics(badly).....oh! I forgot to add in here, that a hosp bed was delivered, but with such soft mattresses on that I sank and could not move. The restriction caused more breathing probs. so out of hrs dr called again (at 7 pm ) , he arrived at 2am.

The doc talked to Liza , ( Does he take sugar?) , and prescribed different antibiotics and codeine  He suggested we call again in morning ( actually it was morning! ) , and get another dr out.

It was explained that Liza was leaving on sun lunch and that I would be on my own,

Well when the going gets tough you have to just sort it... I contacted friends and arranged for someone to be with me in the afternoon and someone to stay overnight.

Of course lack of sleep, stress, lack of oxygen was taing its toll and by Sun was not eating (upset tummy) and not sleeping (couldnt move in bed) and so weak I rarely managed to get myself off the toilet, and indeed had a very weird tun where the world turned into black, white and sepia and I sweated...... My head continued to spin......... In the night  J was up every two hrs. trying to help me in one way or another.

Monday, and local GP arrived and a pressure sore nurse, and a carer and a PA and the woman to shower me....  The GP  said I wasn't ill enough to go to hosp..
Once again I organised the day and night to not be alone for any long periods of time.

On Tuesday a carer  to sleep over was arranged. Poor woman had to travel from Bradford by bus. She rang from HB and didn't realise Old Town was a another bus journey away  I said get in a taxi, I'll pay. She arrived .

So last night was spent with the help of Maxine, we struggled to get my legs comfy, despite the removal of a mattress I still sink in the bed and am trapped. I couldnt breathe, couldnt move.....

The rattle from my lungs loud, my  tinnitus buzzing, and the constant drone of the bed engine, enough to make a well person scream !!

So this morning I asked for a home Dr visit. It was then found that my SATS are v low, one more point and I must go in to hospital... and the diagnosis of pneumonia given.. More , v strong ???, antibiotics and steroids.
I have never taken them before and apparently you get a buzz.. but this didnt happen to me.........
Then add into this mix Imodium as every tiny bit of food enters , then exits in 90 mins....
Another friend ,B,went for prescriptions the back down for Imodium.

I've not slept for a week , not kept any food down for a week........ and yes, I'm moaning !!!! and feeling sorry for myself and feeling hungry and tired and anxious and frightened and unsafe.......

   AND     Thanking god, that I have so many wonderful friends,  who seem determined to get me through this week.  

Thankyou, you all know who you are.



So here I am... writing all this down.

 For your enlightenment ? Perhaps ??!!!

But No! ...........Actually,  it's a cathartic exercise for myself. 

You see, If all this is in cyberspace then its away from me , and perhaps I'll get well soon !!! 


HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND


1 comment:

  1. I've had pneumonia 4 times in my life. Last year was the worst, my temperature was 105.3f. And pluersy on top of that. I am. Glad your blogging again, hope you feel better soon.

    Sincerely, Angel

    ReplyDelete