Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

IN A WHEELCHAIR

Saturday was a busy and somewhat challenging day. I planned to drive my green van to my friends home. When it came time to leave Thorn Place, I realised that I had no-one to see me down the steps! Whilst I can get myself down the steps by myself ,it would take tremendous courage, but I would be prepared to do it... BUT I can't lock the door myself. The angle and height of the lock mean that it is totally impossible for me to do this. I rang neighbours , but no-one was answering. I then thought of shouting to the  children playing in the street, when I saw a friend going down the road... I shouted to her. She,Esther, came an helped and thus I could get away only a bit later than expected.
So I drove to Pecket Well, collected Elsa and we went off to PCX to collect my new computer... I'm writing on it now!! We drove via the bungalow to see if anything was happening... no changes viewable from the outside.(BUT I gather plenty going on inside). On through Midgley, down narrow roads, I was preying that I didn't meet up with any other cars and have to reverse! None met!!
After PCX we had to turn round so chose to go through Dean Clough, where we saw the new Totally Locally cafe/shop. We ventured in. Actually it didn't officially open till yesterday ,but we had a great cup of coffee and a good chat with the people working there. I looks like a wonderful place to have a snack. There is a disabled toilet but the chairs have no arms, so you might need to stay in your wheelchair if you visit... OR get two lovely men to lift you up, as happened to me!!!! YEY!!!!
Anyway that wasn't the reference that I wished to make to the wheelchair title.. It was  this....
We went on to a gathering at The Works in Sowerby Bridge, I was wheeled in. And that's it, I was wheeled in! I couldn't choose where I sat, therefore couldn't choose with whom I talked. The problem  arose, not because of any lack of kindness, but space also. It just shows how vulnerable you are/ can feel when you are not under your own power.
I simply can't wait to have my own powered chair. I will then be independent , and providing there is sufficient space will be able to move around, interact and be "normal", just like you all might do.


HUG ME,I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment