Pages

Monday 10 December 2012

A SHORT ARTICLE

Two weeks ago I was contacted by the MND Association, asking me if I would like to contribute a short article to put on their website under the "My Experiences Of MND" section.

I agreed to do this. The deadline is tomorrow, and for once in my life I'm ahead of time. It may well be edited on the site as I've written slightly over the 500 word limit. But I thought I would share with you my article. 


                                                         ******************************
Me: Nikki Woodman,  Age 63. Single/divorced,  ( never know which to say!!) .

Mum, Grandma, Retired Headteacher, Artist, Former Hospital Radio Presenter and Samaritan. Diagnosed with MND/ALS one year ago.

So those are the facts. But as you will know, either if you are the one with MND, or if you are reading this as a friend of that dear person... life does take  a significant turn when you hear the diagnosis.

For me it was just before Christmas. I did eventually decide to share the news with Family and friends, but spent 12 days to consider my position and to collect information before I shared. This was a difficult time, but I did then feel in control when, eventually, I shared the news. I wanted to be able to support my family and friends as I knew they would be as alarmed as I was. Giving myself this time allowed me to arm myself with information, buy a book re MND for each of my girls and begin to think, with some clarity, about my attidude to my death. I considered Dignitas.... for a few minutes only.......... And slowly, slowly, as the shock wore off, I was finding that I was considering my attitudes to life not death. Telling people this way helped me, but I understand that it may be slightly unusual.

My Wish List, includes: NO, not a trip on the QE2!!!, but: that kitchen cupboards didn’t have doors, that my feet weren’t always cold, that electric sockets were at waist level, that I could afford a PA who would live quietly in a cupboard, emerging when I needed a cup of tea or a meal or my toes drying !!!  AND I wish social care agencies worked faster, I’ve been waiting for 7mths for a suitable Rise and Recline chair!

Losses: money (don’t go there!!); the ability to travel (a former great love);  use of my legs; limited concentration, so I can’t read;  dignity, (I can’t begin to tell you how many people have pulled me off toilets!!); and biggest of all, my hands are getting weaker, this means painting is becoming exhausting and difficult, but I have booked a gallery for an exhibition next October... it will be a record of painting with MND..

Gains: I have found that I have so many good friends. They help in so many ways: bring meals; loading the dishwasher; sharing wine; taking me to the Theatre; bringing chips in newspaper; visiting, (even though they live miles away); phoning; writing ; texting; and one even sends me really dirty jokes (weird but it’s her way of gee-ing me up)!!), the list is endless.

My OT and Physio, have been brilliant. I take on the challenges of each new bit of equipment I’m presented with: the most useful is the litter picker... (I think it’s called an extra hand, but you know what I mean!).
I’ve realised I’m not greedy, that I enjoy the simplicity of my new life surrounded by the love and care of friends.
It’s sad that I have MND, I Blog about it most days (http://www.nikkiwoodman.blogspot.co.uk  ...HUG ME, I’VE GOT MND...),  

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone, but I guess there are two choices, float or sink. I choose float!

                                                         *********************


OK this is not news to you  regular readers, but I thought it was worth sharing what I did write. 
Not an easy write.. I felt I couldn't say MND is SH** ( which it is) but neither could I say it's a bed of roses. For me its a mix and its about trying to be positive. I hope this is what I have achieved in the article.

HEY !!! By the way the stats now show over 16 thousand hits on this Blog... not bad stats. So next year I want it to go "Viral" !!!! LOL !! Do share with your friend who may be interested. Thanks.


HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant Nikki and succinct. When you told us about your diagnosis last year (by email) I was totally shocked. I had been thinking you had an arthritic knee like me. It took me some days to get myself together to respond to your email but not by email if you remember I telephoned you xx and hugs.

    ReplyDelete