Pages

Tuesday 25 December 2012

THE GIFT/S OF CHRISTMAS

This morning Laura and I were talking about the fun of Christmas stockings.

I loved my stocking. I can remember waking in the middle of the night, feeling for it... checking if HE had been.. Never opening it, just thrilled I had it to look forward to.

I opened my stocking in bed with mum and dad. And each year, though there were new gifts, there were some constants..... A sixpence wrapped in foil, tickets for a panto,  and , of course, an orange in the toe!

In our family I wasn't the only one whom Father Christmas visited. Mum and Dad got stockings too.

It was funny , as they got older, 70+ (!) , Father Christmas seemed to raid Boots ! Steradent tabs, Gaviscon, Asprin, toothpaste........ all seemed to bulge out of their stockings !!     BUT they also had at least one "good" present... for dad it was usually a Meerschaum pipe... he was always thrilled. Mum always got a sparkly broach... dad liked glitz ( its in the genes!!) , and a proper gift too.. perfume, fine stockings or similar.

We would sit in bed, taking it in turns to open a wrapped item each.... I loved it.

When my children were little, they of course had stockings and the tradition carried on. I used to tell them that Father Christmas brought the stockings, but people gave them presents..... in that way they would have someone to thank... maybe even write thankyou letters too..... but this did get a battle!!!! 

Im sure we've all had Christmases that have been less than perfect, perhaps very sad, for whatever reason. But today is not a day to think about those. Today, I hope, is a happy day for you all... or if you are reading this after the 25th, (Which I suspect you are!!!),  I hope you have happy memories of Christmas day 2012.

And as for me , no Im not so sad as to write this on Christmas day! It's Christmas eve now and I'm writing with a glass of Sloe Gin to my left! Im waiting for Chrissie Andy and baby Oli to arrive, and Im sure this will herald a great time for us all. A new baby , and at Christmas.

And that brings me on to the joy of Christmas. Whatever your beliefs, it is a time when many people think of the birth of the Christ child. For those that don't have this belief, it still must be the gift of Christmas, that we think of the birth of children. For me my girls,( Eliza, Eleanor and Christina), and also my beloved grandchildren,( Caterina (Sweetie Pie), Matteo and Oliver).

Little ones are our future, they are amazing , and should be cherished. 

Let us hope and pray that our world will soon treat all our babies,  with kindness, care and  love. 


HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND


No comments:

Post a Comment