Pages

Monday 16 April 2012

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED.... SCREAM !

I have had a very stressful few days, hence no Blog!
On Thursday, the accessible homes people visited again. It soon became apparent that the adaptations would cost me a considerable amount of money, but more importantly, it would be 6 months before the exit from the house could be completed. I feel that if I can't get out in a wheel chair within 2/3 months, I will become imprisoned... (and Saturdays events, highlight this possibility.) The team left to look at the bungalow in Old Town....
Friday I waited for the team to report back.... no calls. David from Reeds Rains came to view the house and gave me info re letting my house.(A lot to take in , but fortunately I do have experience of letting as I let Mums home for a while, when she was in the Nursing home).
On Saturday evening I went to the Hippodrome to see the Titanic film (late 50's, early 60's?). I went with Liz, it was her birthday, and as requested we got all dressed up. Most of the evening was fantastic, but I found two chinks in my ability (dis-ability!). I got stuck in the Ladies, and had to call on another woman to help me up... OH! the ignominy!  Then coming down my steps, I fell... Liz and Tom came to my rescue, having to put my left leg into position so that I could stand... the leg would simply not work!!


So... on Sunday I had arranged to visit a bungalow, where it might be possible to live. It's in Old Town, so, not near my lovely neighbours.. the down side, but he up-side, with little adaptation I could live safely there. I decided that it would be best all-round for me to move... but a very emotional experience. Tom , Rebecca and Iris came to view , and they too feel that the move would, on balance, be best for me. They have promised to visit regularly... I shall so miss them.


So today, having at least one decision made, I thought life would be a little more simple.  Not the case:
Car Issues.... I have decided to go for a WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle) that I can drive from the chair. These are expensive, but second-hand options are available. I rang Motability and got some appropriate numbers of suppliers. The first few had none available, then ( OH Joy) I was told that there were none or few... as they were not going out, as they need to be saved for the Paralympic Games.  Unbelievable world, could never have thought of that one... Anyway several calls later I got in touch with Geraldine.... a real terrier of a woman... she has contacted a head honcho and he will be ringing. However, she may be a terrier, but I won't hold my breath on the head honcho... we'll see.
So the next target to sort was an outdoor/ indoor wheel chair.BUT you're not allowed one unless you can exit your home.... which i can't. BUT I asked it I could have one in advance of the move,using it as my car seat, so that I could , at least, have a car. You need a prescription (!) for a suitable wheelchair. So I got in touch with the Doctors... this bit worked. (YEY!!!)  I got a call back from a doctor, and a prescription will be sent!!!
Tesco man arrived.... with no bread, despite my agreeing to substitutions. Rats!!!
Then a call from the Printbureau, suggesting that I may not be satisfied with the quality of the poster... I had done it on an iPad app.... and did wonder about the quality. So I decided to re-do it in Photoshop...... But it's so long since I used this program that I have spent 6 1/2hrs trying to get it right.... and still haven't     RATS!!! I have decided to throw money at it and get them to do it all, but I will have to get up early to do this. Rats, again.
Tonight, I'm so, so tired and frustrated, but I'll leave you with a few pics of my, very likely, new home.


View from garden, Stoodley Pike in distance, south facing.

View of lounge v v large 5mX6m


The new Tenant??? !!!





















HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose, Been away for a week on a family holiday and just caught up with your Blog.
    A lot seems to have been happening for you and to you!
    Your prospective new home looks wonderful and I'm sure your treasured neighbours will be popping in regularly, so hopefully all will be absolutley perfect.
    Hope to see you before too long.
    Take care and keep your chin up.
    Love and hugs, Linda & Matthew. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think getting car is really a big investment, so it’s important to think about it before making a decision. And I think your decision of getting a WAV is just right, as it would certainly help you go around the town. Getting a second-hand WAV is not a bad idea at all, as long as it is safe, and provides you the auto-support that you need.


    @Thomas Wright

    ReplyDelete