Pages

Monday 30 April 2012

IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR LUCIAN FREUD

At last I have time to write about the adventures of last Thursday.
Last Thursday I went to London to see the Lucian Freud exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. Lucian Freud with Francis Bacon and Auerbach, are my top three artists, so it was such a privilege to be able see this Exhibition. The exhibition will be in London, then goes to Washington DC. After that all the pictures will go back to their owners and probably won't ever be seen together again..... well certainly not for many many years. The texture, strength with such delicacy, of the images is stunning, overwhelming... do have a look on-line or do go if you get a chance.
For people with disability, your carer gets in free and there is a wheelchair loan system. The number to arrange this is on-line. The National Portrait Gallery has lifts to all floors, but they are not through lifts... you have to go up one, across a room up two etc.... but it's an old building so therefore acceptable. The restaurant serves good food, expensive, but the down-side is that it is very noisy.... so much for the gallery.

The fun started for me at 8:10, we were given a taxi from Tod to Hebden as the train is not accessible from Tod for disabled persons as there are steps.... The taxi which was provided had no ramps and the steps were high and narrow. So my journey started by being shoved up into the taxi ,and helped out of Taxi by the driver and a kind man at the station. Everything went well from then on as regards the trains.. people helped me on and off with ramps.... BUT  I found that I couldn't get out of the train seat! Thankyou to all the members oif the public who came to my aid.

So arrival at London.... get in Taxi and found I could only get out with extreme difficulty. We then arrived at the gallery, or thought we did... We asked which floor the Lucian Freud was on, only to be told that we were in the National Gallery (In a very snooty manner!)... well the buildings do adjoin!!. So off to the correct gallery, and lunch.

The pictures were wonderful.

Back to the train, by this time my bottom was aching , having been in the chair all day, and I was tired. Then we arrived at Kings Cross in Taxi. Fare £13, I planned to give the driver £15, and had £20 note in my hand. Trying to get out I was so weak I ended up flat on my back!!!! I was so thrilled that the Taxi driver ( from Walthamstow, daughter in Welwyn Gdn City),  just picked me up. I gave him the whole £20. He then gave me back £5 saying it was not problem, and to take care...... how kind was that. London Cabbies are amazing, helpful, kind. Bless then all. .. they were without exception amazingly helpful.


So train to Leeds... it was late into Leeds, so we were given a taxi all the way home to Tod...YEY!!!

What a day!!! Many thanks to Christine Chapman for sharing it with me and being so helpful and supportive.

As for my reflections on the day. I feel that I would like to do  a next trip alone, in an electric wheelchair... When you are with  a "carer" people dis you, and only talk to the carer (. " Does he take Sugar"!!!!!!)    This was not in any way Christines fault or the people who are paid to help... but more the general public. So I'm sure I would be ok on my own...

.... So the next adventure is...... Watch This Space!!!!!

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment