Pages

Wednesday 2 January 2013

NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

Resolutions, sometimes do work... they're all about beginning to activate a habit which will do good. I can remember many, many years ago (before it was easy to do it), my resolution was to recycle glass. I took three full years to ensure that this became  a habit ! But I did it!

That was an example of a resolution which was altruistic in nature. More often we make resolutions which are personal aims... loose weight... being a prime example.

But why do we do this each year?
Well , I know why I do it. For me, each new year seems to give an opportunity to "put right" wrongs... too harsh?  It actually does seem to me, that by resolving to do better in one way or another, wipes the slate. You can start again, freedom/release from, past misjudgements. It's almost like being forgiven.

I love the feeling of  even simple  fresh starts. For example, I loved a new exercise book at school, love clean sheets , love showering and putting on fresh clean ironed clothes..... simple examples of fresh starts.

Perhaps I'm one of the few who feel this rather deeply, perhaps thats why New Years Eve seems so important to me.......... and if you find it weird? Well I respond: It simply wouldn't be good for us all to be the same!

So what fresh starts can a woman with MND make?
This year my resolutions are quite selfish and are about being me. Allowing myself to be in charge more and not run by the MND.

I want to live my life as Nikki Rose Woodman , who happens to have MND. NOT the woman with MND called Nikki. During the past year it has often seemed that MND has engulfed me, taking over my personality, like a parasite.

I've been anxious re so many appointments breaking up every day.
So my first revolution  is to give my self time. Time to paint, time to read, time to listen to the radio, time to have a nap if I wish....

It may be selfish, but if I have only limited time left, I need to spend more of it as I wish.
This doesn't mean I don't/won't welcome your visits, (because I value them above all), but it may mean that I need to keep certain days completely free... I hope you will understand.

Other very simple and perhaps daft resolutions:
I'm going to wear mascara each day. This is about taking pride in myself, again, valuing myself. If I look better , I will feel better.
I also will allow myself not to eat crusts, I've never liked them, and always eaten them.
I  will have butter. For years I've used butter substitutes , thinking they are "better for me".
I will wear what-so-ever I want... and if this means PJ's all day... so be it!
and finally, for now.........
I will ask for help, ( this can be difficult), but there are some things I would like too do which, with a friend, will be achieved more quickly... like scanning in old photos.


I reckon  I might need to revise these as time goes on. So I'm going to allow myself the freedom to count each new first of the month as a time to revise ..............
Well I can't wait for Jan 1st  each year can I ? There may not be many left, BUT multiply these by 12 and there are plenty!! YEY!!!


HUG ME, IV'E GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment