Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

0oops!!!

I have just sat down to write today's Blog and saw that whilst I had written yesterdays contribution, I hadn't pressed publish!!! Sorry!!!
My only excuse is, that I was very anxious yesterday. My throat felt very tight and I worried all day that my neck muscles were going... But all is well, fine today, it must have been anxiety re Hospice visit.

So, Hospice visit.  

I had decided to go to the day-care at Overgate Hospice, as the received wisdom is that a hospice is the best, (most supportive for family), place to die.

I had to get up at 7:30 in order to shower, dress and have breakfast by 9:30. (Showering and dressing takes at least an hour!!)

Just in time, the ambulance arrived. The driver ,a guy called Tracy, ( is that how you spell a male Tracy??) and the support person Anne. Very pleasant people. It turned out that I had taught Anne's daughter at Siddal.. She  (the daughter), doing well. How lovely it is when your pupils do well.  I allow myself a pat on the back to feel that I have contributed, in some small way, towards that success.

The lift to the ambulance was easy and Tracy and Anne, very caring.

We got to Elland about 10:20. I seemed to be last to arrive. Much to my surprise, I entered a large room with 9 people, all sitting quietly ,round in chairs. I was offered a transfer to an easy chair, but declined, as I would have had to have a hoist to get me out of it... and also I enjoy my freedom to move!

I was very surprised as 3 people couldn't walk, but the ones that could , didn't . After a coffee, I made a move on the group and circulated, chatting to everyone!

The staff circulated too, and were extremely pleasant , helpful, kindly and attentive.

I did make a faux pas, when raffle tickets were being sold. I bought 1, the norm seems to be 2!!! Note to self, remember next week.


Lunch orders were taken, and they dealt very well with my dietary needs, ie no cheese, no yeast extract etc. So, I couldn't have the soup, but the gravy on the Chicken Hot Pot was fine. YEY!!!


After lunch I escaped to the garden for a cigarette.(!) People round me (even when they are quite) exhaust me. So the peace and fresh air ,( tainted with nicotine ! ! !),  for 10mins, was very welcome.

I then had a chat with Teena, (yes, she does spell it that way),  manager. She took me to the "hospital" part. I was quite horrified.
From what I had heard things would be bright and jolly. The paint colour didn't help... a sort of pale mustard colour... reminded me of pub walls when people used to smoke in them,. and it was dark, limited lights on... I didn't understand... But the very difficult thing is : that there are two four bedded wards and 3 single rooms.
When I asked ,if when you were about to die,  did you get a single room, the response was: No not necessarily...
I don't know about you , but, ......I would expect privacy at this time, ie end of life. Maybe if not for me, but for my family....

I need to think about this and investigate further.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment