Pages

Saturday 6 October 2012

SWISH... FOR MND

On Thursday last I went to Warwick with my friend Jane. Eliza was organising a SWISH... a sort of up market jumble sale/ clothes swap. 
This was the first ever event that Liza had arranged, she did so well raising a total of £781 for MND. Eliza was really helped by a friend met at playgroup, Fiona. Having met Fiona I can confirm that she is a real star!!!

Jane collected me at 12:30 , we loaded transfer chair, raffle prises and toilet seat... and off we set. 

There is a Tesco's near Lizas so we went there to buy some flowers and for me to use the disabled toilet, plus my seat!!!

Off to Lizas home. I had to go in through the back door as two steps at front. This was difficult , but thanks to Chris, neighbour, I got to door. Then had to stand and settle back into chair from doorway. Not easy. We got in and I was so so so happy to see my grandchildren , Sweetie Pie and Matteo... AND to meet Stomp the dog. Stomp seemed to be anxious about the chair and never did settle whilst I was there. Such a shame as I love dogs and he is soo soo pretty ! I just wanted to cud le him.

We ate.. then....Getting out was really difficult... enough said....... Set off for the Church hall. Steps !!! .... But a ramp.... But the steps were at right angles so a difficult entry, but Jane and Liza helped and managed.  Yey!! (You need to be strong to be a daughter or a friend of someone with MND).

Whilst the stalls were being set up, I was in one place till Sweetie Pie, managed to push me round. How lovely was this... but sad, a nearly five year old pushing me.... but that's the way it is.. Bless you Caterina. I do hope this will be a memory of us together and how lovely and helpful you are... AND in your new school uniform... you really are a Sweetie Pie and I do love you. ....This memory could make me cry...

Shortly after all this , Chrissie Andy and new baby Oli arrived. YEY!!!  Oli was 27 days old.  I had last seen him on his  day 2. Wow ,what a snuggled little one he was. Bless him he stayed asleep throughout all the hustle and bustle... He got so many admiring views... I think we should have charge £5 a peek... would have made thousands!!!

What was so great about all this was that all my family were together.. a first, with my new grandson...YEY!!!!

Jane my carer for the day is an actor in Emmerdale . It was agreed that she was coming as my friend, and not as the celebrity she is. When the MND local rep came to take a pic, Jane decided, that if it would help ,she would be in pics. I was happy with her decision either way. (I see Jane as a friend , not for the celebrity she brings with her) .... anyway, the local rep must be one of the very few people on the planet who hasn't ever watched Emmerdale.!! So we had a bizarre conversation.. then, she assumed I lived in Warwick...I don't ,  but all people of Warwick , I do hope you read this. Your rep is kindly and very much has your interests at heart. 

At 8:30 we left. I was shattered.

We got home at midnight. I had a catch up on nicotine and a quiet G&T and then bed..... I slept!!

Then......

The next morning Eliza and I talked ,and she told me that after I left, the raffle was drawn . She had saved my raffle prize of a painting, as the final prize. She had given a little speech about MND and had said that she hoped the picture would go to a good home.  Apparently, at the very end of the event, the lady who won it said to Liza , Tell your Mum it's gone to a good home... I cried when Liza told me this... I think it was difficult for Liza too..

What a 24 hrs it was.. I'm proud , happy, sad and emotional ... 
Knowing you have MND is really hard . You have to live your life to the full, every minute counts. 
But sometimes, just sometimes, the raw emotion of what illness you have, really hits you. Its then that I really, really , need you my friends and my precious family.. you keep me going... 

you will never ever know how much you all mean to me. Thank you..

HUG ME , I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment