Pages

Wednesday 21 March 2012

TODAY SHEFFIELD.

The hospital transport service collected me at 10:50. A lovely young driver named Louise. She is the same age as Chrissie , my youngest daughter. We got on really well, chatting for all the journey, which was beset by traffic hitches! Louise remained calm, and we eventually arrived at Sheffield Hallam Hospital at 1:20. Louise collected a wheelchair and took me in style to the Neuro out-patient ward.
I went in straight away to meet Prof Pam Shaw. She is an expert in MND, specializing in ALS.. What a charming, professional woman. We spent over an hour together with her doing extra checks on my eyes , mouth and all the usual ones on my limbs. I seemed to be quite strong, except when it came to legs and my poor left foot just dangled.!.. no power to even get to a right angle to my leg. It looked so sad, dangling there.
After this assessment she said that with info she already had, and with her thorough examination, she was sorry but confident that the diagnosis of MND, ALS was correct.
You may think that this would be a blow. Strangely it wasn't , I expected it but it is, in a funny way, good to know that is confirmed by a leading expert.
The next appointment I have with her is in about 3 weeks time when I will stay overnight, have a full MRI and an intensive electromyographic test.. I think this is to predict a pattern, to help with research. When the results come through, to discuss if I might participate on the research program.
For my part I don't feel it will improve my life chances, but should help those with MND who come after me. I also feel comforted that there will be a dialogue between Prof Shaw and Halifax and my GP... which may well ensure that I get best treatment. But that is in no way to put Halifax and Dr Mahmood down. He has been splendid and spot on with the care and diagnosis... but it does make me feel better to be observed and helped by two neurologists.


I was going to end on a light note by including some of the pics I have done on the iPad... but the Cloud.. the method by which you share info between computer and iPad seems to be lost. Do I find the cloud? or shall I just leave it and love the sunshine like we had tonight!!! 
I'm too tired to do more tonight, have the car assessment experience tomorrow.. so plenty to keep me going!!!. 
The last few days have been brilliant energy wise.. but have been helped by friends contacting me today, thinking of me, wishing me well ( I guess it was a crunch day) .. and the lovely Rebecca who brought in a tray meal, simply fit for a Queen... Thankyou  Rebecca, the meal was so delicious and so so welcome.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

No comments:

Post a Comment