Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2012

To begin at the Beginning....

I was a headteacher, but had to retire in 2004 with ME and depression. After getting the right medication and doing a lot of hard work on building up my strength, I felt I was better.
In fact I was so well that in 2008 I began an HND in Fine Art. I had found my niche. I was/am a painter and I love it.
In May, as we got our work together for assessment, I started to limp... I thought I was working too hard and thus the ME was coming back.
In June I went to Glastonbury, mud and extra walking really caused problems... but I thought rest would make it all better.
In July I was sufficiently concerned to go to my GP. She suggested that as i was flat-footed a trip to the podiatrist would help. I had inserts in my shoes... comfy but I was still limping...
To cut a long story short, I eventually went to a neurologist, has an MRI and the electro nerve tests...
As my GP had also ordered the nerve tests she received the results, so it was that late on Dec 2nd I visited my GP for a routine blood test update , only to be told that I had MND, ALS.. but that it wasn't her field.
On the Monday I rang the neurologists secretary and had an appointment with him on Dec 14th. 
The twelve days prior to seeing the neurologist were hell. I decided not to tell people until the diagnosis was absolute..
And on Dec 14th it was confirmed.. MND.


So why the title Hug me , I've got MND..... well I need hugs, and I feel I will need hugs even more as I face the future.
So friends, Hug Me, I've Got MND.

1 comment: