Pages

Thursday 27 September 2012

HOSPITAL DAY !

In the early 70's when I was first teaching in Hertfordshire, theN Cambridgeshire, we used a set of "scheme" books which included one called Hospital Day. The name of the series alludes me. But one memory remains: many of the youngsters in Herts used to call it HOSPICLE DAY! So for ever-more any visit to a hospital, for me, has been called Hospicle Day.

This morning my alarm was set for 7:30... two hours earlier than normal!! (Mornings are hard with MND).I dressed ,got breakfast, shut Meggie in lounge and kitchen with litter tray. This is no mean feat, closing doors with stick, moving chair back and forwards to get hold of handle. 

Anyway, I was ready at 9:00 and ambulance arrived. When this transport was booked I had explained that I was in an Innvacare Dragon...The ambulance driver looked at chair and said that she would not be able to attached the lock-down to take me in my chair. I had to go in transfer chair.. Using one of these means I no longer have the freedom to move myself, am entirely dependant on others to move me... And I hate it!!!

So off we go, a lift into the ambulance . A new experience. Have to travel backwaards, given a bowl in case I'm sick!!!   
We collected one other patient and I was in Cardiology at 10:00. Perfect time for my 10:00 appointment. I had an ECG, then a 24hr one fitted. I was done and dusted by 10:35.

So next bit, wait for ambulance home.   and wait.... and wait............AND WAIT !  Plonked by a pillar.

Now, you may remember it was in the Cardiology Dept where I couldn't get off the loo, as the hand hold bar was loose.. well now even if it is fixed (which it should have been) , I can no longer get off toilets for the disabled as they are too low for my weak legs. 

So I started to worry that I might need the loo! Claire, the woman who pulled me off before, was on duty. I called her over and she reassured me that should I need help she would get a nurse. She offered me a coffee, and later another coffee and a sandwich..

As I waited ... and Waited... and Waited... eventually for 2 hrs!!!!

As time was going on I realised I wouldn't be back for the Physio appointment which was to be at 1:30.

 I made call and cancelled. This is a shame, as my back and head ache, and I blackly need the stretches that Michaela would do. 
But, sadly, not today. 
The rise and recline chair that was first measured on 24th July (... and is still not ordered!!!!!!)   ,will help with this back pain.

I got home to a grateful Meggie at 1:35.

I'm tired. I ache. I havens the energy to put last nights dishes in dishwasher.. (Ginny coming later, so I'm sure she'll help). 

I'm fed up as all this would have been unnecessary,  if I had a useful car.

Weep?... I could  SCREAM!!!!

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND

1 comment:

  1. For goodness sake! What is it about hospitals where they are supposed to look after the 'sick' (that's hilarious giving you a sick bowl!) that they do not appear to know their a**e from their elbow. You must be exhausted.
    MULTIPLE HUGS!XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete