Pages

Saturday 22 September 2012

WHEEL CHAIR RIDE IN TAXI

Before I write on the main subject of this Blog, I'd like to thank the 11,500 people who have read my Blog. Keep reading!!!

SO... yesterday I had to go to Tod to take my wheelchair driving test. Its part of the health and safety rules for the loan of a wheelchair. I was to meet Pete at 1:00 by the bus station, under the arches.

Taxi booked for 12:30. It arrived promptly. I had closed all the doors to keep Meggie in in order that I could open the main doors to exit myself.
So, all well I headed out. But tried to close doors my squirming round and pulling, ( they open inwards), after much hassling and grazing of door.( oops !!!) I realised that I had to get out, turn, then back outwards pulling door.  After many minutes I managed.

I was wondering why driver couldn't see my predicament and come to help, but he too had his own predicament. He was getting the ramps attached. Much to my horror, I saw it wasn't solid but two separate tracks.. no room for error! So, putting chair on high power, necessary to getup any incline, I zoomed up, just stopping in time to not exit through the opposite door!!!!.
 It was then that he explained that I needed to be turned at right angles to face forwards! Much back and forward, shoving and pushing,and I was in place, but only fitted because my feet were pulled under, very very uncomfortable. The doors had been open during this  20min process and I was now very chilled. As we descended into Hebden Bridge it started to rain!!

I saw Pete, and he suggested to not use power on chair to exit, but to disconnect drive. I went back from Taxi putting all my faith in Pete, whilst driver watched.  Driver said cost £18, but said pay on return.

Pete and I did a 45 min circuit of Tod. Including a kerb climb ... hairy you have to speed at it and pray that the kerb climber is set right, to leave a kerb you go backwards and have to go at right angles,or you may well tip.. any way I managed it all.. getting colder and wetter by the minute!!!The bottom line is that I passed, showing excellent awareness. Another accolade I could do without needing!!

I then had the first fun I've had for ages. I met up with several friends, bought some cream to make pommes dauphinoise AND a lovely BIG bunch of fragrant lilies from the indoor market. YEA!!!  Freedom. if only for mins. This is what I want to be able to do,and,  WHEN my car is drivable , I will. It will mean normality in this stressful life.

So now the taxi drive home.

The driver, and I had taken note of how to disconnect drive and pushed me into taxi. It still took ages to put on the restraints onto the wheel chair, but only about 15mins this time, Whilst we were driving back to MM, I asked if there was an extra charge for wheelchair users, as it took longer. No said the driver.

Thinking the cost was £18 I got out a £20 note. But no, the charge was £36 , but he would charge £30. I paid £30.

Got in wet and very cold, made a cuppa and went to rest on  bed. Elsa popped in for a short while and I got up. She made a coffee. After this I had planned to make the potato onion and bacon bake... but too tired, I had a bacon sandwich, and even that I couldn't eat all, so so exhausted.

I slept for 12 hrs.

HUG ME, I'VE GOT MND


No comments:

Post a Comment